Tabletop Game of the Future
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DICE rolling ideas, alternatives, modifications

2 posters

Go down

DICE rolling ideas, alternatives, modifications Empty DICE rolling ideas, alternatives, modifications

Post  Shark Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:52 pm

Some dice ideas, modification ideas and things I'd like to have the dice system do:

3 or 4 dice, or however many we feel is a good amount of variability but not too much, and every action is grouped with certain characteristic, rather than a stat, which determines the size of the dice you roll, range from 6-12 still of course, for the different characteristic upgrades you could buy.

What this does, is, rather than generalize your stats, it specifies your characteristics, which would lead to actions being bundled, so rather than an attack being a melange of your stat and your skill, you're characteristics would simply determine the dice size, and interact some way with the dice, whether it be adding bonus' to all the rolls, giving a certain number that you can apply to any die you roll, or, as I put in the above example, a new idea, where adrenaline functions as a way to offer autosuccesses on certain actions, which I like the simplicity of, but if it's not enough variance, we can basically work adrenaline whatever way we find that gives us the amount of variance we want.

Something I had been thinking of also, is die number, you're right that if we roll a large number of dice one success being a success is too easy, but I'd like to find the right die number which would be okay with having one success equalling one success. The reason for this being that pairing down to what is essential I think should be the goal, also it's a sort of weird mechanic when you have to wait for 2 successes to actually have a success, it seems sort of like forcing it, but I don't know if having 3 or 4 dice is enough variance. I'd like to propose that it is, especially depending on how we treat adrenaline.

I'm sure there are other solutions, but whatever it is I'd like our dice rolling system to be set up so that 1 success does equal a success. It may be a minor success, if we wanted to have a few different levels of success, it I don't think it should be nothing.

Also, if we didn't have a dice pool, are there any ideas any of us have had for a different sort of dice rolling idea? Might as well throw down any ideas we can think of on the forum. Or any other dice pool ideas.

Shark

Back to top Go down

DICE rolling ideas, alternatives, modifications Empty Re: DICE rolling ideas, alternatives, modifications

Post  alex Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:38 am

Well, first we must consider dice themselves. I mean what other simple devices could be used that have different mechanics? But until we come up with those, five, count em, 5 random dice-oriented(including ~dice-oriented !) ideas other than pools:

1. Percentile dice (d100). It's *slightly* more mathy, but we can come up with simple mechanics to make it easy and natural. It's a concise, quick and super granular dice roll, and all the game mods would be expressed as a % so like +5 = +5% which is nice and straightforward.

2. Adding the pool up. You need to hit a fairly large target mark, say maybe 30. You roll all your dice, add all your mods, and try to get to the DC. We could add the fail by 5 / succeed by 5 concept to make it not just miss/hit. This system allows the dice pool to be flexible in size, and the size of the dice matters less - it's all about the total bonus.

3. d20. Tried and true? No idea excluded! Anyway, basic d20 isn't "the worst" I know. It's just "not that great" and the d20 games we play have lots of other issues. Use it again with the fail by 5 / succeed by 5 thing for better-than-dnd result granularity system. You'd have all your variance packed into the d20 (or hell maybe even 2d20) and all stats/skills/weapon bits would be modifiers (could be variable mods like +1d4 but maybe that's unnecessary dice rolling)

4. The 3d6 style games. Your stats, skills, weapon and circumstance determine the DC 3-18 and you roll 3d6. In this system all the mods are applied BEFORE the roll, to set the DC, then you roll (where many other systems use the roll first, add second method).

5. No dice. You use your character traits (words) to convince DM that you succeed. "I'm so darn BLOODTHIRSTY, I just gotta make him squirt. And i'm so EXPERIENCED with this triple-headed flail, I know just where to hit him. And he under-estimates me because i'm so darn DRUNK." and then the other guy would go and makes a case for his side (in the case of an opposed action) using his keywords. Maybe a set number of keywords you get to use, maybe it scales with level. This is more of a collaborative role-playing system rather than a tactical simulator.

Last edited by alex on Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

alex

Back to top Go down

DICE rolling ideas, alternatives, modifications Empty Re: DICE rolling ideas, alternatives, modifications

Post  alex Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:41 am

In the category on special thingies:

12-Sided Body Part Die - Where did the sword hit your opponent? Where did the bullet penetrate? Roll a die!

http://www.greathallgames.com/aacc/adice/dpolyLoc.jpg

Perhaps with a few of these "words on dice" we might have something, but I can't think of anything off the bat.

alex

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down